Monday, June 11, 2007

Little Boy

I was at work the other day and I saw something that reminded me of when I was a kid.
A dad and his two kids.
The Dad said he only gets to see them every other weekend.
The little boy, 11
The little girl, 5
At least I think
Still too young to understand, they were happy
Who wouldn’t be?
The Dad had given them each thirty dollars to spend
I wonder if the Dad was trying to buy their love…
It may work when they’re young
It gets old at 16
I wish I could tell the kids
That divorce is not normal
I wish I could tell them
At times they may make it seem like it is their fault,
Yet the weak will blame the strong.
The weak will blame the young and innocent.
I wish I could tell that little boy
That a family sticks together
It doesn’t divide in two.
I wish I could tell that little girl
That she is beautiful
And always will be
I wish I could tell them to not let their parent’s failures
Set them up for failure
Yet, success.
Maybe I am wrong
Maybe their family works best when divided
But what works best out of its original intent?
What works best when operated the complete opposite of the original design?
So little boy
Little girl
Be strong

4 comments:

Unknown said...

wow. collin, both of your blogs are amazing. i really enjoyed reading them.
did you write both of them? if so, you are truely talented.

Alyssa said...

Aw. That was so good. You should put your words to music and sell them. Then people could hear what you want them to.

ErinBoddy said...

Collin,
I know exactly how this is. It happend to me, once my parents got divoriced me and my sister were so in love with my dad. He would always come and visit us and do all this cool stuff with us. He even took us to Disney. Now, we are hardly close. He has a wife, and three kids. And he hardly supports us with the things we need. He isn't like a father.

and...once my mom and step-dad got divoriced, Paige and Hope go see him every other weekend and on Wendsdays. He buys them whatever he wants. ANYTHING. And they talk about how much they want something and how they know dad will get it for them. He takes them on so many trips.

....and I know where this is probably going to end up.
with a hollow relationship and a broken heart for him.

its sad. But I am going to try to help them be smart about, and help them learn to be so much smarter about marrige and their family.

also, I think about how much I have learned from all my experiences through it. I have learned so much. And I think that because of it, and because of how much you learned from it...you will be such a great father. you will have so much love for your kids and they will look up to you so much. you will be truly close to them. deep with them. and they will grow up to be just like their father.


...so in the end, I am thinking, it could turn around and be such a good thing that happend to the best of us.

:-) and thats all i gotta say about that.It was just a bunch of blah so I hope you understand and it makes sense to you.

Chelsea Renee said...

this is good Collin. It was actually amazing, and eye-opening. I think that you are perspicacious as well as annie :)